We will be hosting a Meet and Greet with Pastor Candidate John Nguyen on Saturday Dec. 3rd, 22 from 3-5 pm in the Fuel Room! Come meet John enjoy some refreshments.
Then on Sunday morning December 4th, John will be preaching and we will then be voting to hire him as our new Lead Pastor! Please come be a part of this exciting time in the life of our church!
John & Zorana Nguyen and son Ian
I currently serve as the Minister of Congregational Care at First Baptist Church in Covington, LA. I have the honor of ministering to a wonderful congregation. My primary areas of attention are senior adults and serving with our Celebrate Recovery ministry. With our seniors, I enjoy hearing how God has worked in their lives and how He is working currently. With Celebrate Recovery, I love seeing God’s redemptive work in motion as believers walk through recovery. Before this role, I served as pastor of FBCC’s Hope Church campus. There I greatly enjoyed serving and building community with our members. I have a passion for the study and teaching of scripture, theology and apologetics. I greatly enjoyed using these passions in composing expository sermons each week.
I trusted Christ as Lord and Savior on March 25, 2012. My wife and I call that my Re-birthday which I like. I grew up in a very nominally Christian home. We seldom attended church. Through friends however I became involved in a youth group as a “Wednesday night only” kid. Fast forward to my freshman year of college. Upon the invitation of a friend, who is now my wife, I visited a church plant in the area. During the Pastor’s sermon the Holy Spirit pressed on my heart. That I night I called Christ my king. Now, these 10 years later, God has been so good to me. I’m blessed with a family I didn’t have and a calling to ministry I never would have considered a decade ago.
Zorana and I have been married since 2013. We have a 4 year old son named Ian and a baby girl arriving in December. Some of my personal interests include good coffee, cycling, apologetics, and things with motors. Educationally, I have enjoyed my studies and plan to pursue a Ph.D. in the future.
My life’s aim is the pursuit of obedience to Lord Jesus. I believe all disciples of Jesus have a call to serve the Kingdom in one way or another. As one called to vocational ministry, I want to teach, love, serve, and lead the local church so that she may advance Christ’s Kingdom. I aim to see the church carry out Christ’s commands to love God, love people, and make disciples (Mt. 22:37-40; 28:18-20).
Birth Date: June 24, 1992
Family: Zorana Nguyen, Ian Nguyen (4 yr./old), and Audrey Nguyen (coming soon)
Ordination: June of 2014 at First Baptist Church, Collins, MS
First Baptist Church; Covington, LA 2017-
Minister of Congregational Care (January 2022- present)
• Primary Responsibilities – Minister to seniors, Leadership in Celebrate Recovery; Visitation of infirmed, homebound, and assisted living residents; Teach a Connect Group class; Lead worship through music and teaching at assisted living homes; Identify those with care needs for pastoral team and deacons; Evangelism.
• Growth and Effectiveness – Established 2 new worship services at care homes; Developed a strategy for congregational care across variety of needs; Further developed a strategy for tracking care needs for individual members.
Campus Pastor (2017-21)
• Primary Responsibilities – Lead and minister to the Hope Church Campus congregation; Visitation; Lead in discipleship, worship, administration, preaching and outreach.
• Growth and Effectiveness – Increase in consistent attendance post-lockdown; Growth of individual disciples; Increased general understanding of the call of disciples within the church; Growth in biblical study; Increased evangelistic witness in the Bush area.
First Baptist Church; Collins, MS 2014-16
• Primary Responsibilities – Lead in outreach and discipleship of students 7th -12th grade within the church body and the Collins community; Organize youth events, camp, Bible study, and worship.
• Growth and Effectiveness – Reached students in the community, some of whom trusted Christ; Students increased in their understanding of discipleship and evangelism; Students grew as a community, welcoming new students easily.
Oak Hill Baptist Church 2013
Co-Volunteer Youth Minister
• Primary Responsibilities – Serve with other volunteers and youth committee; Aid in planning and chaperoning mission trips and camp; Lead in bible study; Help with worship ministry.
• Growth and Effectiveness – Grew in relationship with students; Involved in practical counsel.
Baptist Student Union 2012
President and Intern
• Primary Responsibilities – Be a warm and welcoming presence at BSU building; Lead bible study; Serve on praise team; Aid BSU director in various ways.
• Growth and Effectiveness – Bible study funneled students to other BSU activities and outreach: Connected with students through outreach events.
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary 2016-21
M.Div. with Specialization in Christian Apologetics
William Carey University 2013-16
B.A. Biblical Studies
Pearl River Community College 2011-13
Secular Work Experience:
Shipt Delivery, Driver 2021
CC’s Coffee House, Barista 2019-21